Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Running Scared

Daylight Savings Time is NOT for runners! I love the fall and even the winter snow but I do not like the dark coming so dang early.

We have a 5mi running path that has street lights almost all of the way except for about 1/2mi at the half way point. With it getting dark so early it is usually really dark when we hit that area. I am not one of those people that gets scared easily, something has to happen to me at that moment in order for me to be bothered. Last night as we was heading out of the dark area, which just as luck has it is the longest uphill ever, there was a strange man/boy walking in all black clothing! I could not see him at all until I was right up on him but Sheri saw him a little ways back. The area we are running in is country, the way he was walking was leading way into the country. After we passed him a little way Sheri looked back and thought he had turned back around towards us, so we KICKED it in up that hill ~ holy cow we was at around a 8:00 pace going up that hill! Wish I could run comfortably at that pace all of the time guess I need to imagine someone chasing behind me~ha! Maybe it was just in our mind that he turned back around or maybe it was just too dark and we couldn't really see which way he was going...........................................................hmmmm............
This morning while getting ready for work, I was listening to the news only to hear that the BP station was robbed by a masked robber which is close to where we meet to begin our run!! WHAT??!! Could it possibly have been the person we saw walking? The robbery happened about 3 hours after our run. OMG!!! I do have to say that kind of Scared me!

7 comments:

mommaof3ontherun said...

I get scared easily out and about in the dark...be safe!

Fifty K said...

Just found your blog this week!! Wow!! That is super scary! Glad to hear nothing happened to you! Stay safe!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

I'm so glad you were not alone!!!!

run4may said...

Wow that would scare me too but I'm a skittish person by nature. You rocked that hill.

RunToTheFinish said...

I agree daylight savings it not good at all for runners!! glad you are running safe with friends

Unknown said...

Running in the dark is always a problem - visibility and safety. I headed out on Saturday just before dusk and had to worry about footing for the first 7 miles while the late was changing; then, I thought about being visible so that I was safe (cars and whackos) for the last 9 miles. Not fun - but it left me feeling powerful.

KovasP said...

I almost always run in the dark and usually there is noone else out, so it always freak me out to see anyone walking.