Friday, January 10, 2014

Friday Five- Ending 2013 & Planning for 2014

An awesome thing that helps you make a come back to blogging- these wonderful list(s) that help you post!

1. I didn't set a mileage goal for 2013 towards the end of the year I thought I was going to be close to 1000 miles but I ended up with 854. Not quite as many as I wanted but still very happy with that since I didn't set a goal! This year (2014) I'm setting a goal of 1000 miles again, I KNOW I CAN DO IT!!

2. Isn't it exciting to start planning races for the new year?? Of course this process starts long before the new year actually gets here but there is sometimes lots of new races added during the new year. My very first half ever was Run the Bluegrass in Lexington, KY in 2010 and I have ran it every year since. Except for the change in the course (holy moly talk about hills!! I've heard someone else say there is about 21 hills in those 13 miles and they aren't small ones! Just makes us stronger though right?!) it has changed hands since the first one but it has gotten better and better every year! Needless to say Gerard and I are already signed up for this years on March 29, 2014!

3. Another favorite (somewhat) local Half I enjoy is the Kentucky Derby miniMarathon! This is an awesome course to try and train for a PR, I got my first half PR there in 2012 of 1:58!! I considered and thought about doing the Full Marathon at the Derby this year but I have decided to make my current goal to work towards another 1:58 half (or better), I KNOW I CAN DO IT!! Something VERY VERY AWESOME this year is that both the Derby miniMarathon and Run the Bluegrass have teamed up together for the 

If you complete both half marathons (or the full at the Derby) then you qualify for the Kentucky Half Classic! Which means you will receive an extra "special" medal recognizing your accomplishment, VIP port a potties, special food area and more all for FREE! How EXCITING!! I can't wait!

4. I really am a creature of habit, I tend to complete the same races year after year after year, guess that's ok to see how you improve or not year after year?! One of my favorite series is the Frankfort Trifecta

The Trifecta is a 3k, 5k and a 10k if you sign up early and are part of the first 300 people you get a FREE shirt and a special something after completing all 3 races! One year it was a hand made clay medal, a horse shoe one year and last year a glass! I enjoy FREE things how about you??

5. And of course there is the Iron Horse Half in the lovely Midway, KY.

Not really sure what it is about this one but it is a favorite for lots of people and has been named one of the top 28 Half Marathons by Runners World Magazine! The scenery is beautiful and pleasant but once again this is a hilly course! I have been oh so close to breaking under 2 hours here twice but just haven't been able to pull it off yet, maybe this is my year??!!

I have Marathon fever and am thinking about doing a Fall Marathon. Haven't completely decided yet but I am seriously considering it. Question is Which one?? Got any recommendations? I prefer closer to home, something within 4 - 5 hours of Kentucky so I am able to drive back home after:) 

Run Happy:)

No comments: