Thursday, June 16, 2016

2016 Twinkie Run 10k






**Twinkie  Run- 10k split with  a partner  or solo. Predict your time. No watches/timing devices  allowed. Closest person  to prediction  wins. Everyone brings a dish for Potluck at the end!!**

This is my third year for participating in the Twinkie Run and I love it more and more every year. Maybe eventually one year I will get it exactly right. This year I didn't even really put much thought into my prediction I pretty much just grabbed a number out of the air and went with it....I chose 1:02:35 for a 10k. Umm that is a 10:05 pace overall WHAT WAS I THINKING???

It usually ends up raining, this year it was about 90° and very humid I was watching the weather as I was walking out and it looked like the rain in the area was going to go around us. UGGHH I was so not looking to this but off I went! 


As we were standing there waiting to start the skies kept growing darker and darker. It was my time to go I took off easy until I got into my groove then I felt like I was running way too fast. My mom was at the 1 mile mark taking photos and thankfully had some water so I stopped for a drink and off again. Gosh it is so hard to judge speed/pace without my Garmin! Again I knew I was going more than likely too fast but I also knew that the hills coming back was bigger and longer so I was hoping to make up a little time for walking on the way back.
Just before the monsoon
About a half mile after I passed mom the skies unleashed and let loose! OMG it rained so hard BIG HUGE pellets of rain that felt like hail along with strong blowing wind thunder and lightening! It was scary! I had my visor on but it was blowing so hard I barely had one eye open. I kept thinking any second someone was going to come up beside me and tell me to get in for safety reasons. After I made the turn around someone pulled up and asked if I was ok but didn't tell me I had to stop and no one else was stopping so I wasn't about to either!

Finally I caught up to one of my friends and the rain was slacking up. We was so soaking wet we looked pitiful. Both of us thought the same thing thinking that we was way faster than we should be for our predictions and how in the world I "though" I was is beyond me I guess that crazy rain made me speed up!

Somehow by the luck of the running gods me and my friend won 1st and 2nd (me) place! I missed my prediction by 22 seconds!! WOW I was totally shocked! Another unique thing with the Twinkie Run, they use recycled trophies!! 

Amy & I
Great looking bunch of runners :)


Love my 'Recycled" trophy!
Go Me!

No comments: