Tuesday, April 4, 2017

I Survived TWICE!

Image may contain: 7 people, people smiling, beard, closeup and outdoor

OMG March is our busiest month at work (vehicle licenses) and it is always worse when the end of the month falls on a Friday. For some reason this year it was a little different and not crazy busy every day last week only the last 2 days. Friday was HORRIBLE and I expected it to be but it was still awful.....GRRRR!!! But I survived 😲

The worst thing about that week being our busiest week ever is its always the week for Run the Bluegrass the hardest dang half of the year BUT I expected that too and guess what?? I SURVIVED it as well!! In fact I felt better afterwards than I ever do at any half marathon!
Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor                              Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor
A few days before race day I text one of the Flamingos and asked if she had a goal time? For me this race is not about goal times its about completing one of the hardest halfs and having fun with your friends! Thankfully she had a goal I felt like I could handle!! (I have been doing long runs but I have no speed at all right now) She does run walk and I have been running with her at the last few long run/races so why not this one too!

The weather is always terrible for this race, early forecast showed Sunny and 60°, but I knew better. It was overcast, breezy and 45°! Again to be expected for this race! So the goal time was 2:30 with run/walk intervals of 1:30/30....we can do that!

We stuck with the intervals pretty much the entire first half except for a few uphill/downhills and we got at least a sip of water at every water stop. I was amazed how fast the course and miles  was going by. At about mile 5½ a deer was stampeding through a field, it had everyone's attention and wishing we could run like that LOL!!

So why is this race the hardest of all year??? The HILLS! Oh goodness there is like 30+ in the 13 lovely miles. And we aren't talking little speed bump hills we are talking HILLS!

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, outdoor and nature         Image may contain: one or more people, tree, sky, outdoor and nature      Image may contain: one or more people, people riding bicycles, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, sky, outdoor and nature



Half way point is the worst for the hills so there was more walking during that area and miss Sherry said the whole time that we was walking up the entire dreaded mile 9 'S' curve, its a doozy!! But did she do that?? Of course not LOL! And I didn't mind one bit I mean that is one of the reasons I love this Flamingo friend of mine she likes to push it just a little bit harder/farther!


Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, hat, outdoor and closeup
One of my little buddies I train with :) 

   
Image may contain: 2 people, people sitting, tree and outdoor
The Band at the 'S' Curve
      Image may contain: one or more people, tree and outdoor


In the last 2 miles we started looking the time over thinking about the last couple of miles and figuring out if we was going to make this 2:30 goal or not. Truthfully I did not think we was going to make it but we was still going to make it a PR for her. Then we came to the last turn the turn to the longest finish ever and we had 45 seconds to get there! That was the fastest either of us has ran in a very long time but WE DID IT!!

                                                                         2:30:16
Well 16 seconds over but this was an 8 minute PR for Sherry and on the hardest course around! I am super proud of her! Now we just need to focus on the next PR which we will chase at the end of the month at the Kentucky Derby miniMarathon

Run Happy ;)    



Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, outdoor
Super proud of this Flamingo


Is that not the BEST looking medal EVER!!



Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing
The #Flamingos

Image may contain: 10 people, people smiling, people standing
And #StuddMuffins


No comments: