Friday, April 5, 2013

3x the Fun for St. Patty's Day






My St. Patrick's Day weekend was doing 3 races in two days! Woo Hoo I LOVE racing season.....EXCEPT when I'm sick:(



1. The first race was the Shamrock Shuffle 3k in Lexington, Ky on Saturday March 16. This is one of my favorite races, its just a 3k, its a fast course, there's always a huge crowd and lots of fun wearing Green! (one of my favorite colors:)

Making sure Mom sees me!
This year there was the largest crowd I have ever seen(2800+), it took us at least 10 - 15 mins to get parked we literally parked stopped to pee, pick up bib, walk out to hear race starts in 3mins, give mom a kiss, find my spot and GO!! Whoa that all happened really quick?!?!?!%% And ever so lucky me has a terrible cold!!! Last year I was in shape and came in 4th in my age group, this year I'm out of shape and sick just hoping I'm not last, LOL! I didn't take off overly fast and tried to run comfortable, I had to take a couple of short 10second or so walk breaks towards the end to try and control and the junk coming out of my nose and going down my throat~ yucky!! I was a minute and 20 seconds slower than last year but I still came in 5th out of 193 in my age group, to me that is awesome!!

2. Next up was the St. Patty's Day 5k at Renfro Valley on Sunday March 17 another race in the Rockcastle Regional County Wide Strides Series. These races have grown so much in size which is a great thing because each of these races are for different charities! This is not a hard course and I actually got my first 5k PR there last year, but I had the stupid terrible cold and knew it wasn't going to be too great plus when we finished there we was heading to another race that I would rather do better at. I took off once again not overly fast and comfortable the first mile was lots faster than I wanted it to be (8:25ish) so I slowed way down and then I started having the snot attack so I had to walk to clear my throat a few times, the way I was feeling I didn't even care I just really wanted to be finished:(



Look at that "Race Face" yep that ones mine:) 

The hubs did awesome though and came in 3rd in his age group!!

3. And finally the last stop on Sunday, Run for the Gold 3k in Frankfort, KY another one of my favorites! And another race series the Frankfort Trifecta Run/Walk Series. Frankfort is the beautiful capital of the great   state of Kentucky and all three of the races in the series goes by or is around the capital or downtown by the old capital building, I think Frankfort is a neat downtown area and always so much fun:) Why do I have to have the worst cold I have had in probably over 3 or 4 years on the weekend of my favorite races UGGHH!! By the time we left Mt. Vernon and got to Frankfort the temperature had dropped about 10+ degrees (30^) and it was a little breezy not the greatest weather for someone with a cold. I was starting to get a fever when we got there so I knew this was not going to be anything too great thank goodness it was just a 3k. I walked way more than I really wanted to and I ended up getting behind (or in front of) a boy that was running the entire race backwards??!! Ok that's a little crazy. He was really nice though I was trying to help him out and say when people was close behind him, in return he was trying to help me out when I started walking telling me to hang in there we was almost done. A lady I know from aerobics passed me (WHILE I WAS WALKING URRRGHH!!!) and I thought to myself "Your not going down like this sick or not your almost there LET'S GO!!" and I gave it all I had!  Once again I was one minute and 20 seconds slower than last year and way farther down the age group than I wanted and of course the hubs smoked it!


1 comment:

Suz and Allan said...

Congrats on three races in one weekend and hooray for your hubby having a great time too!