Sunday, November 13, 2011

No 1:59:59 for Me :(

Yep that's right I bombed out! However it wasn't my worst finish time ever.....

Me, Shalan and my mom made the 3 hour trip to Nashville, Tn for the I run for the Party Nashville 1/2 Marathon Friday afternoon. This is a fairly small event and there was only a packet pick up. (I Run for the Party seems to be a pretty neat series if you live in the Nashville area you should check it out!) It was a little difficult to find the packet pick up, the location wasn't marked very well and was easy to drive past.

We went back to the hotel and walked to the downtown area to find something to eat. The valet at the hotel told us about a great place but we couldn't find it. We walked all around turned a corner and saw the resturant he was talking about! I don't remember the exact name but it was something like Dems? OMG it was amazing!! The best spagetti, bread, cheesy bread and salad :) Will go back if ever in Nashville again!!

We get up Saturday morning and head out it was a few blocks away from our hotel but it was a nice walk. The weather was great, I really wasn't sure what to wear. The sun was shining it was about 44* and wind of 8mph.  I choose not to wear a headband just my ear warmer, wasn't happy with that later! On the walk to the start I figured I better go ahead and turn on my Garmin, with all of the large  buildings I figured it would have a hard time getting satellite there. IT WOULDN'T COME ON! Trying not to panic I just kept on hitting the start button over and over again, it would flash on and go right back off(flash the garmin words). UGGHH!! NO WAY!! WHAT!!

The pit stops we made along the way. Thought maybe Elvis would give my watch a little power to come on!

Apparently the battery was dead on it even though I charged it ALL DAY the day before :( I tried really hard not to let this bother me BUT IT DID. That was all I could think about! They had pace flags on the sides and we got in by the 9:00 - 9:30 area. I started looking around at the people trying to remember outfits and such so I would know who to half way look for out on the course to judge my time. I was even asking people around me what their goal time was hoping to find someone to pace with. I don't always look at my watch but I like to be able to look down and see if I am making it for goal time! I am pretty sure I started off way too fast, the first couple of miles was a slight up hill the enire way. Mile 3 had a pretty steep hill and I walked! Shalan was smarter than me and slowed her pace, she got beside me asked if I was ok, I replied with "No not really my head is spinning and I feel like I want to vomit!" But I started to run with her again, not for long and I told her I wasn't sure if I was going to make it she told me I would and went on. I started getting really hot and took off my gloves and ear warmer thankfully that was also about the time we was looping back through towards the start and I saw my mom and tossed her my ear warmer and gloves, somehow she only got my ear warmer but they was only $1 gloves!
I also told mom I felt like I was going to vomit, she said the same you are ok! Right after I threw her my stuff it was yet another steep hill and I walked up it. Mom was at the top of it and I asked her what the time was, she told me it had been about 55 mins.

See the disappointment on my face
That really disappointed me the last mile sign I saw was 3 and I thought I was on 4 but went a little way and saw the 6 mile flag! A little way farther there was a time clock so I assumed it was half way point, the clock read 1:02 something and I had a brief thought of maybe 1:59:59 was still possible.  I do belive every mile from 7 to the finish had one steep hill that went on for at least a quarter of a mile each! I had already walked way too much and couldn't get a good steady pace going! By mile 8 I knew I had already blown it so just go ahead and accept it and do the best I can to finish!
Thankfully the last half mile was all down hill! As you can tell in the pic above I was so ready to be done! My toe was killing me I knew for sure there was a HUGE blister on it and yep I was
right :(  Overall I had a good time and am glad I did it next time I know to train for more major hills!

2:14:54 my finish time!!


Elle said...

Good for you for hanging in there and getting it done.

Take care of that toe!

Crystal said...

sorry that it didnt go well! my garmin does that too! not sure why! it sucks though, especially before a race!

you'll get it next time!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

good for you for plowing through! that's a great looking medal! be proud of yourself!

Jill@Run for the Hills said...

Great job! These Nashville hills can be a doozy and that one is a particularly tough course. Way to go!!!!

Stephanie Anne said...

Nice job on the finish!!

Sarah said...

the first pic is cracking me up!